Thursday, September 20, 2007

they're BAAAck...

in case you were wondering about the recent absence of nutria from this blog, they eventually grew up and migrated out from under our deck back to amazon creek. thank god! and we had a lovely, nutria-free late summer in which otis could run (on his run-rope--not able to let him run freely without a fence just yet) around the yard un-harmed, grace was not afraid to go outside, and i could hang out on the back deck enjoying the twilight and a beer without first having to scrape up rodent shit.

the first red flag came when the house started to smell like cat piss. since neither one of us is secretly operating a meth lab, we blamed it on gracie's old age. she's getting a bit geriatric these days. oh well, i guess maybe it's time for a litter box.

but then the compost pile i've been cultivating all summer started to look like someone had been in it. hmm...

and then this morning i walked outside to find half of my beautiful container garden (i've been growing rosemary, dill, parsley, chives, basil, oregano, and sage) KNOCKED OVER AND BROKEN, and a familiar little pile of oily, oval-shaped droppings on the deck stairs.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

!!!!!!I'm sorry, that sounds awful!! I find it hard to be a proponant for animals when a. they are not native and not supposed to be here anyway and b. are a darn nuissance! I wish I knew a nutria deterent method, but I have no idea. Anyway, I guess it's up to the landlord to deal with.

By the way, I felt bonded to you this weekend, becuase J and I are doing house-fixing stuff (under my initiative) including yard maintenance, scrapping and sanding the front door before painting it, and deciding what to paint it. We are now aiming for yellow, like your old living room!! except a more rustic yellow to match the brownish red exterior. Just thought you'd like to know you've inspired me with your past endeavors. Now if only I had my own blog to post pictures...oh well : )

marissa said...

i think the yellow will look great! i spent a lot of the weekend looking at paint samples next to different things in the house wishing i was in our "permanent" house and i could paint.
you should get a blog! just go to blogspot.com and it will tell you how to sign up. i love reading blogs about home renovation, etc.

Anonymous said...

My own blog?? But then I can't pretend that this is my blog!! (you must be procrastinating at work too, since you responded so quickly..it's like IMing...) I know, I should...but I am lazy and I may use it as an excuse to not call people...we'll see....

Are you starting to look for a new house? Sounds exciting. I am kind of living vicariously now, since it isn't really my house. But it's fun to have a project, and the neighbors are ecstatic that I am helping make the house pretty, which seems to have been a wish of theirs for while (tired of looking at the house I guess...) Anyway, keep us updated if you start looking. (by the way, you should be happy for now with renting becuase you don't need to make repairs...J and I just went a week without hot water because the gas valve stopped working...and the furnace will need replacing before winter...) : (

Rosanne said...

oh Marissa, maybe you've missed your true calling - "oily, oval shaped droppings" - GROSS, yet I could totally picture it in my mind. You should quit DHS and become a writer/nutria-whisperer! :)

marissa said...

apparently you can train anything with a central nervous system. this is according to the dog-school teacher. she claims to have trained everything from chickens to people. what i should do then is train the nutria to come do all my paperwork for me so i can pursue a travel-writing career. even a career of laying on the couch and drinking wine sounds good right about now. :)

Anonymous said...

seriously, never coming to visit you. damn nutria.